Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Life Update

Hello everybody! I'm sorry that I've been MIA for most of this month. This month has been a rough one. I've been dealing with a storm of depression and anxiety which makes this lifestyle change more difficult then when I'm feeling high.


On August 21st, we had to put our baby Alice down. We took her into the emergency vet thinking that she was either depressed or dehydrated. She wasn't acting like herself, she wasn't eating and barely moving. Her eyes were sunken in and she was breathing faster than normal. Her vitals were checked and her temp was low, her breathing was labored, and her oxygen levels were very low. Because of this, they took her into the back to an oxygen cage and to do x-rays because they were afraid that there was something wrong with her heart. Unfortunately, she had something called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy which means that the muscles around her heart were too thick to let her heart pump fully and for the blood to flow properly. This was causing blood clots which could spread to her brain and her back legs. She also had fluid pooling in her lungs, which is why her breathing was labored. The vet gave us one of two options, either we could have put her on medication and take her in and out of the vet and best scenario would be that she would be back even worse in three months and maybe a year to live. But it would be very painful and a lot more could go wrong. It was the easiest hard decision we have ever had to make. We were able to spend her last moments with her and be with her when they put her to sleep. It was heartbreaking and I cried for two days straight, but I'm at peace with it. I miss her, I love her and she will always and forever be my baby.

McClain and I have been wanting to get a dog for a while, but we live in a one bedroom apartment and two cats and one dog would have been a bit much. Not to mention, Alice was a little diva and hated all other animals except for Nala who she didn't like for a long time. After grieving Alice we decided it was time to adopt a new family member.


This is Walter (Walt). He is a 6-year old, 3 lb, rescue chihuahua that we adopted from Ruff Patch Rescue. Every Saturday that have an adoption event at PetSmart in Jordan Landing. We decided to swing by to get an idea of what kind of dog we wanted. McClain LOVES chihuahuas, and I've never really preferred them. But we saw this little guy and we knew that he was destined to be our new fur child. He has brought a whole new feeling in to our house. He and Nala don't really know what to think about each other quite yet, but I have a feeling they'll be the best of friends.


This month has been really crappy when it comes to exercise.. This was the last time I went to the gym, the Saturday before we lost Alice and that was the first time in two weeks. It's been an okay eating month, but not great. Luckily I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't lost much either. Just know that my journey isn't and won't be perfect. I slip and fall, but I'm getting back up and hitting the ground running.


When we adopted Walt, they took a "family picture". For fun I decided to do a side by side. This is February compared to August. Even though it's been a hard month with very little progress, I cannot help but be amazed by our progress. We're both down over 40 pounds. The difference is not just in our weight, but also our happiness. Granted, we did just adopt our dog, but it's a significant difference. I am so proud of the both of us and so lucky that we're doing this together. This week I have gotten back on track, which hasn't been easy but I'm feeling great. I'm hoping that September will be much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment