Monday, August 15, 2016

Project Self Love Update

Since this has been going on for two and a half months, I didn't think it was necessary to do weekly updates, so I figure I'll just do one every few weeks. Because as much as I love bragging about how great I am, no one wants to read just that. I inspire myself and that's not a bad thing. I'm kidding... But I am happy that I'm finally becoming happy.


I hit another huge milestone this last week. I reached my summer goal, which was to get under 200 pounds! On June 1st I decided that on September 1st I would weigh 199 pounds. On August 9th, I stepped on the scale and weighed exactly 199 pounds. That's 39 pounds that are gone. The picture above is April vs August. I remember seeing that first picture and being so embarrassed. It was taken at Disneyland and I didn't even want to show it to anyone. If a picture wasn't taken by me at the right angle I didn't want anyone to see it. Which is silly. Because you look decent for a still photo but in real life you don't look like that. But in this second picture, there is no special angle, I'm not even facing sideways to hide my partial figure. I'm just happy at how far I've come in just 2.5 months. 

Two weeks ago, my husband and I both lost our fitbits. We have NO IDEA how it happened but they're both gone and no where to be found. So we upgraded, I got the fitbit Alta. The only reason I wanted this one is because of the digital face that shows you time, steps, calories burned etc. It also gives you notifications from your phone, which are REALLY useful. Other than that, it does the exact same thing as the Flex. 

I've had a rough few weeks. I posted last week about my anxiety and how big of a role it plays in my life. I've really had to slow down that last couple weeks, I've been taking time to just slow down and focus on my mental and emotional health more-so than my physical health. I've still been eating good, but I haven't been going to the gym as often as I should. I've been frustrated because I feel like I'm going through such a good season in my life right now that I hate even the thought that there are tough days.


For those of you who don't know, I am a huge fan of Demi Lovato. I have loved her since her early Camp Rock days and she has been such a huge part of my recovery. I was lucky enough to finally see her in concert last week and it was definitely one of my favorite nights ever. Three years ago Demi came out with a book called "Staying Strong 365 Days a Year". There is a an inspirational quote, written piece by her and a goal for each day. I recently rediscovered my copy and I have kept it on my desk at work to give me a little piece of help each day. Today's entry was something that I really needed to hear. She says: "Oftentimes when we compare our struggles to others', we end up feeling guilty and accidentally invalidate our own feelings. When I broke my ankle, it really sucked, but I realized someone on the other side of the world may not even have fresh water. Sometimes we instantly shame ourselves because someone is in more pain than we are, but all pain needs to be acknowledged because it's real. And just because you haven't had as much as another doesn't mean you haven't struggled. GOAL: Whatever you are going through, make sure you validate how you are feeling. Value and respect your emotions as if they were someone else's." This was really helpful today. Even though my pain and my hurt may be minuscule, it is still valid and needs to be acknowledged. Mental health is just as important as physical health. Don't ever diminish your emotional needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment