Sunday, July 17, 2016

In Christ alone


I used to write a lot more about my struggles than I did my achievements which is why I've kept this blog as positive as I possibly can. But I'm here to say that there are hard days. Lately I've been lucky enough to have more good days than bad, but there are still the bad days. There are still days that I don't want to get out of bed, that I cancel plans because I don't want to be around people, that I limit myself because of my anxiety and that's going to be something that will always be a part of my life. The scars on my body tell a story. They tell a story of battle and recovery. Of a continued fight that I've conquered over and over again. I am lucky to see these everyday to remind myself how far I've come and how much I've overcome. 

Self-harm is not something that I take part in on a regular basis anymore. It used to be a crutch that I utilized sometimes up to several times a day. It's something that had taken over my life and for a time defined who I am. There are times were it creeps back into my head as an option of coping. There are scars not only on my arms but my hips and thighs. Self-harm is not something I'm proud of, or that I flaunt. However, I feel a responsibility to share my story because God helped me overcome this trial. I feel as if I need to share his light through my darkest times. Which is a large reason why I decided to get this tattoo.

Ever since I was younger I was always very interested in tattoos. Even though I was raised in a community where tattoos were looked down upon I always wanted to get at least one. This is a tattoo that has been on my mind for several years, but I have never gotten up the courage to finally go get it done. Not only is it a reminder to me that He is the only reason I was/am able to get through my dark times. But it is a conversation starter on mental illness which is something that I'm heavily passionate about. I want people to know that even though you see very harsh lines that have a hard story, there's hope. That "In Christ alone, my hope is found. He is my light, my strength, my song." That it's not impossible to come back from and continue to battle depression and anxiety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment